Table of Contents
Would you like to make a change?
If so, then you need to gain clarity on your reasons for wanting to leave to avoid getting yourself into an even worse situation. According to Redline the main reason for a change in a career include:
– Being in a position for too many years has caused you to become bored or feel like you can’t move
– Lack of interest in the job
– Feelings of being undervalued
– Lack of progress
– Feelings of being too young to settle and stay until retirement
– Problems with your manager and other employees
– Desire for change and more stimulation
It is important to carefully consider if you truly want to change your career. You should be quite particular and specific about the reasons you don’t enjoy your current job. For example, some reasons include you don’t like the people you’re working with, your boss, the environment that you have to work in, the actual work, your conditions etc. Consider all of the things that can be done to make your job better and more enjoyable. Be sure to look at all the options available to you so that you don’t rush. Some possible changes include:
– Getting another job within the same field. For example, if you’re a professor, you can teach at another college.
– Changing the field you work in. For example, you can move from working in the educational field to another field such as industrial, charity etc.
– Change your current job by looking into other interests, moving laterally or even par time. Getting involved in different projects at work.
What type of work are you interested in?
Chances are, you already know what you’d like to do. So, by answering these questions, you’ll be able to gain even more clarity. You should consider what you’d like your best job to be like every day. Some examples include:
– Little administrative work and paperwork
– The ability to work with more or less people
– Working outdoors or even traveling more frequently or less frequently
– The ability to work at home
It is possible for you to gain access to some of these changes in your current job. Once you talk to your boss, they may be able to help you to make these changes once it is practical. If you have certain thoughts and ideas, be sure to record them and talk to your boss about them. You should also indicate the benefits for the company and boss if they assist you in these changes.
What can you do?
Be sure to think about your current skill set besides what you currently do at your job. A few good examples of these include:
– The ability to teach
– Research skills
– Communication skills
– Organizational skills
– Fundraising skills
– Ability to put ideas into motion
Would you like to utilize these skills?
You may be desirous of a complete change, however, be sure to remain sensible. You should consider your skills and how you can use them in other types of jobs. Be sure to find people in the fields you’re interested in and talk to them about available opportunities. This includes members of associations, suppliers etc. By doing this you may get ideas and you may even find lateral careers that you’re interested in that are also a good fit with your current capabilities.